Wednesday, July 14, 2010

809 Steps

It's one thing to know about the hidden places of the world, but another to see them, to be there, to feel the ache in your legs from the climb and the mountain top breeze against your face. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

We went to a mountain, and it took 809 beautifully carved steps to get to the temples at the top. The air was heavy with the coming storm and we were all sweating more than we'd care to admit. The top was a courtyard with gold covered roofs and stone carved Buddhas. The monks were in white and they lived up there in the houses and amongst the rocks and trees.

The trees. Their roots were amazing themselves as they shot out and engulfed anything and everything within their reach. The monkeys were everywhere and their babies clung to their mothers' stomachs. I tried to get close to take a picture of two babies playing and was promptly chased away by the mother.

That's right, I was chased by a monkey.

We wandered around for a while, each finding our own path to explore. Trash cans were dotted everywhere, each saying that it's good karma to pick up trash, which there was a lot of. After picking up my share, I saw a white butterfly gliding in and around the rocks. I followed it, trying to get a good picture of it. It lead me back along the path I had come from. I had climbed down some of the rocks to get there and when I came back to the base of them, I found my favorite Life Is Good hat. It must have fallen on my way down from where I had it snapped to my belt. There's good karma for you.

In a quiet mood, I did what I was made to do. I explored the path. I walked past the ornate temples to the large rocks, many hiding small carvings of a sleeping Buddha and a gold pot bursting with used incense sticks. I walked on. The forest got thinker and each carving or temple I came to seemed older. Thunder rolled in the sky and I knew I had to turn back; more trail for another day. I smiled at the monk at the top of the stairs and she smiled a toothless smile back. Yes, more for another day.

I met up with Chris on the way down and we both found ourselves in awe of where we were. We won't forget it and I hope to one day return.

- Kat J

No comments:

Post a Comment